Who we are…..
Head Start and Early Head Start of Fayette County are federal and state funded, comprehensive child development programs designed to serve families with children from birth to age five, including children with verified disabilities and pregnant women that meet financial guidelines at the poverty level, or are determined to be homeless under the McKinney Vinto Act, or have children with verified disabilities and who have other identified “risk” factors.
We at Head Start do our utmost to promote school readiness and enhance social and cognitive development through the provision of health, educational, nutritional, social, and other necessary services with the objective that the families and their children will be healthy, confident, and better prepared to succeed in life.
The Early Head Start is committed to serving low-income families with infants and toddlers and pregnant women in their homes. Our goal is to promote healthy prenatal outcomes for pregnant women, enhance the development of very young children, and healthy family relationships.
Services We Offer
- Social Services
- Child Development
- Special Needs
- Information and Services in Health, Mental Wellness and Education
How We Serve
In our Head Start program, there are two options. (Option placement is not a choice, but is based upon service areas developed by the program and are part of the program’s ERSEA Policy.)
Children will attend class at Head Start facility:
- Double Session – 4 days per week for 3.5 hours per day (AM or PM)
- Single Session – 5 days per week for 5 hours per day
- Breakfast and lunch OR lunch and snack is provided to each child and is free.*
The home-based instructor performs home visits weekly for 1.5 hours, completing 36 weeks per program year, community outings and 4 hours of socializations. The goal is to create an environment where the entire family can interact together to support the child’s educational goals, as well as the family’s goals.
In our Early Head Start program:
- A Family Resource Specialist (FRS) conducts weekly home visits for 1.5 hours, completing 48 weeks per program year to create an environment where the entire family can interact together while supporting the child and family goals established with the parent by the FRS, community outings and 2 hours of socializations.
Who We Serve
- Head Start serves families with preschool age children 3 to 5 years.
- Early Head Start serves families of pregnant women, infants, and toddlers under 3 years of age.
- Children with disabilities or other special needs are also provided services in collaboration with the local Early Intervention provider or other programs through an IEP, IFSP, or 504 plan.
- Children in childcare can also receive Head Start/Early Head Start services.
- highly qualified teachers and staff.
- a program tailored to each child’s individual needs based upon parent and staff input.
- books and language tools to develop early reading skills.
- opportunities and environments to develop and support strong self-image.
- positive environment, positive behavioral changes, and social and emotional interactions.
- good, nutritional food choices and an example of healthy eating and living.
- instruction for parents on nutrition, health, child development, and mental health.
- opportunities for parents and children to have social interaction with others.
- tools for parents to learn to become their children’s first teacher.
- a school readiness plan that provides information that is needed to ensure children are ready for school, their families are ready to support their children’s learning, and schools are ready for children.
*NOTICE: All meals served to children under the Child Care Food Program are served at no separate charge regardless of race, color, sex, age, handicap, or national origin. There is no discrimination in admissions policy, meal service, or use of facilities. Any complaints of discrimination should be submitted in writing within 180 days, of the incident to the USDA, Director, Office of Civil Rights, 1400 Independence Ave., SW,, Washington, DC 20250